On 13.02.2013 12:41, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
On 13/02/2013 11:01, Sven Barth wrote:

Keep this FAQ entry in mind when suggesting features:
http://www.freepascal.org/faq.var#extensionselect

(Note: I personally would have nothing against such a feature, but
the details need to be defined!)

Well I guess unless someone is ready to have a precedent of relaxing
rule 2 here 'Anything that is only a shorter notation does not apply ...'
this won't happen :(

Precedent: case of String

If the other reasons are compelling enough or someone even provides a patch for the feature I personally see no problem. Of course the opinions of the other core developers matter as well...

But it's not just 'shorter', it's relatively 'safer' too, and doesn't
forbid anybody from using traditional constructs either, at all, if they wish
so/need so.

That's for example a reason that speaks for the feature.

Regards,
Sven