On 2017-03-17 09:57, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 11:14:17 +0000
Graeme Geldenhuys <mailingli...@geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

And I am pleasantly surprised! :)  That demo worked perfectly on my
system. Sound, animation, graphics all silky smooth. Impressive indeed.

If running a 3 year old iOS Demo in a browser when we have seen Unreal
Tournament 3 being playable there 4 years ago is impressive is
debatable.
For me the impressive thing is that FireFox with WebAssembly manages
to show the same performance as Chrome without it. Having them run
side by side both fullscreen I can see no performance difference at
all.
Perhaps the JS side is doing so little that it hardly matters (as it
should be, when doing WebGL you want to do as much on the GPU as
possible).
First benchmarks indicate that there isn't much of a performance
increase with the current WebAssembly implementation over pure JS
anyway.
The benefit is that you can 'run C code' in the browser and that's currently it.
Having a WebAssembly target for FPC would surely be nice (more
options) but hardly a game changer currently.
In my little experience with WebGL the JS performance was never that
big of a problem but getting lots of data into the browser without the
transfer being super slow or the browser consuming alot more memory
than it should.

Why run webgl through javascript if you could just make something like a flash plugin object (like youtube videos) that plays opengl scenes using some native format similar to how flash uses SWF files, or whatever?

I think there was some opengl plugin object, but can't remember...

It seems like almost the web browser is trying to become Emacs, everything and the kitchen sink, though...

If it includes opengl or webgl, and video players, and.. everything under the sun.. it makes me wonder whether we should really not be going back to exe's again... I.e. if you want to download a opengl application, you just download an exe/elf program instead of running it in the web browser ;-)

Still, web browser (abuse syndrome) apps are cool.