I get an error message when building a project after updating from SVN
to get the sources that build fine on another RPi4 identical in
configuration.

"Fatal: Cannot find LazSerial used by RemoteIO. Check if package
LazSerialPort is in the dependencies."

The LazSerial dependency has been *removed*, that was the whole point
of this excercise.
There is no longer any mention in the source files of lazserial and I
have removed the dependencies for LazSerial in the project inspector.

Where can Lazarus have stored this bogus information?

In Project inspector are only 3 items:
Files
  SerialTest.lpr
  formmain.pas
Required packages:
  LCL

I have even searched the files in the project for LazSerial and it
only finds the word in comments....

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden