On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:25 AM Wendy McGovern <wmcgov...@pbi.org> wrote:

> Hi, Framers!
>
> I'm still a little skeptical, though, whether the new version actually
> "splits" the footnote like Word does and puts part of the note on the next
> page or whether the new Frame just moves the whole note to be on the same
> page as the reference number, leaving a big ugly gap on the page.
>
> As I understand it, it does NOT split the footnote. Instead, it moves the
text containing the footnote reference and the footnote to the next page.
This is not a feature I use much, so I can't confirm this.

> I'm also worried we'll have to go without IXGEN anymore, as I understand
> it only works with 32-bit and the new Frame is strictly 64-bit.
>
> The new FM is 64-bit only. According to the IXGEN website, updates are
made as changes to a new FM "affect IXgen performance." The last time I
discussed this with Frank Sterns, he suggested keeping both 32-bit and a
64-bit versions of FM and converting between them to use IXgen.  I'd
contact them and find out if they're working on a 64-bit version, since
there's no way for you to get a more recent 32-bit version of FM than the
one you already have.

> I love our good ol' Frame, but am tired of worrying about the font changes
> in PDFing and having to manually wrangle footnotes. Can anyone give me any
> advice on how good the latest version is? Now that it's subscription only,
> will we be stuck having to upgrade as new versions come out, whether we
> want to or not?
>
> FM does not, currently, automatically install updates the same way that
other Adobe products do. I don't know if they plan to change that in the
future or not.

Personally, I've been enjoying working in the newest FMs. It's a little
less stable than it used to be in version 8, but it is still far, far more
stable than Word. The new features range from massive changes to little
tweaks that make things easier. For example, the BookMIFWash Utility is now
installed automatically instead of forcing you to open a C file to find out
where to copy the DLL and how to update the maker.ini file. They've added a
couple of buttons on the Tables toolbar to let you remove an individual
column or row with a button click. ExpressScript lets you write scripts
without needing to compile them into DLLs.

I suggest downloading the trial and seeing how it works for you. You get
about a month to pound on it, which should give you plenty of time to see
if it works for you. :)
--
Lin Sims