Argh... Ghosts and legacies of last-century engineering design. InDesign's
composition engine was born smart, and kept evolving. ID overall has gotten
closer and closer to FM technical authoring and book tool set.

But, the cost of migrating individual authors, tech-publishing departments,
and large legacy inventories, far outweigh most gains in convenience,
features, and typographic improvements.

One glimmer of possibly migrating comes from FM's new subscription model,
which obviates the cost of purchasing new standalone licenses.