Thanks for the chuckle, Wendy. Since you're talking about lawyers here,
perhaps cite an episode of "The Good Wife," in which Nathan Lane's
character advises the all-hands-on-deck team that's buried in zillions of
pages of discovery documents, that the key information they'll need to win
the giant case, is probably buried in the footnotes. What volunteer
attorney-author would want his/her contribution and credit buried pages
distant from the source in main text?

This could be their chance to show that it's possible to serve justice and
good documentation layout at the same time. :)