As far as ARM-based tablets, that's probably as good as it gets currently. The other option I was looking in to was an x86-based tablet, and using either android-x86 or some flavour of linux with good touch support. The former doesn't really have the best performance and support [IMO], and the latter will be lacking your apps if migrating from an existing android/LOS based device.

Here's hoping that Purism does well with the librem5, we could really use some fresh-air in the [open] mobile-device space!

Josh

On 2019-05-15 09:04, Ben Finney wrote:
Howdy all,

My tablet computer has started to fail (Samsung products apparently just
normally have crappy batteries) so I'm looking to replace it.

When I chose this tablet computer, I did so by browsing the supported
devices at <URL:https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/> and using the
(small) list of product models as a shopping list.

Now, over a year later, the set of devices supported by a current
LineageOS release has *shrunk* and there don't appear to be any tablet
computers younger than 2015 there!

Am I screwed, and if so how badly? How do I get a tablet computer which
will last a good number of years (implying the hardware must be quite
recent) and runs a free-software operating system?