On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Lars Eggert wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > This isn't good. Part of it just the chip later presenting the
> > completion for a command that I had already timed out. But basically,
> > we never got a response to a command, so we timed it out. Later, the
> > chip presented us with the comamnd as being done- and being done with no
> > errors (hence the 'context reply').
> >
> > Can you say if there was a perceptible period of time between the first
> > and second barfings?
>
> there is a longish (30 seconds?) pause before the first message, then I
> get them all in one swoop. E.g. I type "make buildworld", make seems to
> hang, and then I get these messages 30 seconds later.

In some sense this sounds like an interrupt issue. The timeout is 30
seconds, and it looks like we give up on the command but it's done
instantaneously afterwards.

>  > Oh, yes- let me know if you've upgraded to the latest LSI 53c1030 f/w
>  > (that'd 1.0.12).
>
> No, I was running a Dell-branded 1.0.0. I grabbed the update from LSI
> and installed it, but now none of my partitions likes to boot anymore
> (FreeBSD and Windows XP). Also, the LSI firmware prompt used to show all
> drives as Ultra-320, now it shows them as Ultra-80 with a note saying
> "should support Ultra-320 when the OS is loaded". Is this to be
> expected, i.e. do I need to reinstall everything with the new firmware?

*sputter*

That's damned odd. Can you get into the configuration menu and make sure
it has 'large BIOS' or whatever the LSI term is enabled?

> I'm trying to find the original Dell-branded firmware somewhere, but so
> far, no luck.

*groan* I might have an image somewhere around... hang on...
check my directory on hub- there's 1.0.6 there...

-matt