> No real favorites. In emergencies I tend to pick up the telephone.

> This doesn't seem like an emergency, and in any case the phone is a poor
> medium for a problem like this. There are some ports under /usr/ports/irc,
> if you have suggestions I could try one or more. If a phone call is useful,
> my number is 530 753 2005, California PDT. The answering machine screens
> calls, I pick up if I recognize the caller's message. I can return calls
> anywhere in the lower 48.

> It's important to remember that even if the comms delay is zero my
> comprehension
> delay is much greater than zero. Sometimes infinite. That's apt to either
> bore or
> frustrate experts.

> Mark Millard is trying to give me an inkling of how poudriere works. It's a
> stunningly
> complex process, apparently approximating individual virtual hosts compiling
> each port.
> I'd like to see the ports system keep working as it has in the past, but that
> seemingly
> requires a kind of machine intelligence that hasn't evolved yet. Poudriere
> seems like
> a brute force approach. Persuading ports (and porters) to cooperate is more
> efficient
> if it's possible.

> Thanks for reading, and any thoughts you might have!

> bob prohaska

I've been thinking about what to use to build FreeBSD ports, if I go ahead and
build FreeBSD 13.0-STABLE or -current: portmaster, poudriere (I am reluctant),
synth (seems to have fallen out of favor), or NetBSD pkgsrc.

I don't like the dialog4ports, and much prefer the way NetBSD pkgsrc or Gentoo
Linux portage keep the options in /etc/mk.conf or /etc/make.conf .

I haven't updated FreeBSD since May 2019 because of troubles with network
connectivity in releng-12 and 13 (May 2019), though that may possibly be better
now.

My question, Bob, is, if you are dissatisfied with poudriere, what do you use
for FreeBSD ports?

Tom