Pat Maddox wrote:

I got a dedicated server a while ago, and it came with /home symlinked
to /usr/home.  I'm not entirely sure why, to tell you the truth, but
it's never posed a problem.  However if I run rsync -avz to back up my
server, it creates something like this:

/backup/march/19/home -> /usr/home

So if I were to go to /backup/march/19 and rm -rf * wouldn't it go and
delete everything in /usr/home?  That's obviously not my intended
result.  I've read all the symlink options in man rsync but honestly
am not sure what it is that I need to do.  Ideally I'd like to have
symlinks reference the relative file..so something like
/backup/march/19/home -> /backup/march/19/usr/home

That way I don't lose all my stuff if I remove the file from backup. Right now I'm just ignoring /home when I rsync, but it makes me kind
of worried that if I ever backup without ignoring /home and then
delete my backup I might lose my live data...I could really use some
info.

You could always make some dummy directories and symlinks and try it :-)

But, no, it won't delete the real thing *unless you put a / on the end*. If you don't put the trailing slash then the symlink is deleted. If you put the trailing slash, then the symlink is dereferenced and the contents recursively deleted.

If you did what you wanted with rsync, you wouldn't correctly recover symlinks.

The rm man page says:

    The rm utility removes symbolic links, not the files referenced by the
    links.

--Alex