Bob wrote:
The method you are using is obsolete.
The following is all you need.
Take special note of rc.conf statements to use.
####################  start of DSL ppp.conf  ###################
default:

 set log Phase tun             #use to avoid excessive log sizes
 set timeout 0                 # no idle time out, will not disconnect

dialisp:
 set device PPPoE:XXX          # replace xxx with your NIC device name
 set authname YOURLOGINNAME    # Replace with your ISP account username
 set authkey YOURPASSWORD      # Replace with your ISP account password
 add default HISADDR           # Add a (sticky) default route (Mandatory)
 enable dns             # Gets the ISP's DNS IP address & places them
Thank you, Bob. You have been very helpful. Right now about 10 people are using this computer (with the backup connection, that one uses DHCP). I can only try this tomorrow, but I'll write about the results.

Thanks again

 Laszlo