On Aug 25, 2008, at 12:49 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

In the old days, if one MTA couldn't reach another it would hold stuff in its queue for four or five days. Now, most MTAs appear to be configured to give up after 24 hours.

In which case those mail systems are not in compliance with the RFCs.
RFC 2821 Section 4.5.4.1 says:

 Retries continue until the message is transmitted or the sender gives
 up; the give-up time generally needs to be at least 4-5 days.  The
 parameters to the retry algorithm MUST be configurable.

Thanks for that. I will point that out to the appropriate postmasters the next time I see delivery attempts give up before this. Not that it will do much good, but I will try.

I wonder whether rfc-ignorant.org has a category for this. Hold on ... Nope. They don't have this category of (2)821 violation.

The original poster may wish to take a look at rfc-ignorant.org to make sure that they feel confident that they can run an Internet- friendly mailserver.

Cheers,

-j