On Jan 19, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Alexander Motin wrote:

Hi.

I've made a patch, that should solve set of problems of CAM ATA and CAM
generally. I would like to ask for testing and feedback.

What patch does:
- It unifies bus reset/probe sequence. Whenever bus attached at boot or
later, CAM will automatically reset and scan it. It allows to remove
duplicate code from many drivers.
- Any bus, attached before CAM completed it's boot-time initialization,
will equally join to the process, delaying boot if needed.
- New kern.cam.boot_delay loader tunable should help controllers that
are still unable to register their buses in time (such as slow USB/
PCCard/ CardBus devices).

I've fought many times against delay values like this. They never work well enough. Drivers that have delayed scans should set up their own intrhook to delay the boot until their scan is done. To help this out, CAM should move to its own hook that is guaranteed to run after the normal intrhooks. However, this isn't required.

Here's my alternate proposal:

- move xpt_config() execution to a new config hook that runs after the normal intrhooks. - For self identifying buses (i.e. anything where device presence is known to the controller), have the SIM notify CAM of each target device, instead of assuming that CAM will scan for it. - Teach USB and whatnot to use a confighook to drive their discovery, instead of estimated timeouts.

I'm doing exactly this for the new MPT2SAS driver.

Scott