On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Eivind E wrote:

First, the intermittent nature of the problem sounds like it might be hardware failure. The only easy way to test that would be to swap in another video board, but people rarely have extras.

You also mentioned upgrading from 7.x to 8.1. It's worth running pkg_libchk from sysutils/bsdadminscripts to make sure nothing was missed.

Back to the xorg.conf...

Adding Option "Log" "Sync" to ServerLayout may help preserve the Xorg.0.log file. Untested by me so far, but shouldn't hurt.

I'll repost the xorg.conf here

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Tastatur" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mus" "CorePointer"
        Option  "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

AllowEmptyInput (and fire) bad!  Use AutoAddDevices Off instead.
(http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html)

Section "Files"
EndSection

Looks wrong, but works here. I'd suggest leaving out the section entirely rather than leaving it empty, though.

Section "Module"
        # Load "freetype"
        # Load "xtt"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "speedo"
EndSection

All but the commented first two and last three are default. Worth commenting out the last three and testing, too.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Skjerm"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 70.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Grafikkort"
        Driver      "radeonhd"
        Option  "HPD" "off"
EndSection

My success rate with the radeonhd driver is pretty much nonexistent.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Grafikkort"
        Monitor    "Skjerm"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

16-bit? That may actually be slower than 24, depending on how the card is built. Should still work, though it's worth commenting out in both places for testing.

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

Should not cause a problem, although I use 0660.

My full xorg.conf for the X1650 is here:
http://wonkity.com/~wblock/radeon/x1650/xorg.conf