On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Oliver Pinter wrote:

it's an old problem:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2010-February/009372.html

Please don't top-post, it makes responding more difficult.

And still exist... with or without dri/3d, it's a bug between freebsd
agp and xorg-server.

When you use vesa, than this problem is elliminated. With radeon or
radeon-hd driver, the problem come back, and the machine locked up.
When you killed the xserver, end kldunloaded the radeon modul, then
presented a small memory leak, and the radeon kernek modul is not
reloadable.
The DRI/DRM/3D is completly independent from this bug. The bug is in
libpciaccess or xorg-server. The old xserver (<=1.4.X) is bugfree....

Was OP unloading the radeon kernel module? I can verify that once the radeon module is unloaded, it doesn't work after reloading. But for me, X just complains about no screens found, it doesn't lock up. If the radeon module stays loaded, X starts and restarts fine. Tested ten restarts without problems.