On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 03:04:22PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > Adding some swap would help a lot more.
>
> So, I run a lot of systems without swap - basically my
> thinking at the time I set them up went like this.
>
> "I have 4 gig of memory, and 4 gig of swap. Surely running 8 gig of
> memory and no swap will be just as good ?"
>
> but, is that actually true ? Is real RAM as good as an equivalent amount
> of swap, or is there smething special about swap which means you shoud
> have some no matter how much RAM you have ?

I believe some things (caches/buffers and the like) are sized according
to how much real RAM you have, i.e. if you have 8G RAM the system will
actuallu use more memory than if you have only 4G RAM.

I also think that parts of the system are designed with the assumption
that there is some swap available that can act as some sort of
"overflow buffer" from time to time.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson