On 07/10/2018 05:40, Warner Losh wrote:

I'd like to request as many people as possible submit
their current dmesg to the service at http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi so
that we have a better basis for future preliminary lists of drivers for
other parts of the tree.

This one-liner works to submit, though you'll need to change username,
email and maybe tweak the description if your system doesn't have decent
smbios entries. It's also x86 centric, since other systems won't have this
information as readily available.

Out of interest, has FreeBSD considered implementing an equivalent of Debian's "popularity-contest" package, which periodically submits anonymised lists of installed packages? On FreeBSD this could be from the pkg database, and could also include hardware information.

In Debian, it's opt-in at install time, or installable afterward. If FreeBSD had a similar package and installer opt-in, this could potentially provide useful usage statistics without any privacy concerns.

Regards,
Roger