At 04:27 PM 7/22/2005, Frank Mayhar wrote:
Brandon Fosdick wrote:
SMP support in FreeBSD seems to be a perpetually favorite feature to gripe about, but every release seems to say that its getting better. I'm about to build a new server and am trying to determine if I should go with dual procs or just a single. The AMD64x2 is slightly cheaper than the FX-57 so I'm leaning that way, but it would be a rather pointless savings if SMP isn't well supported. So, is SMP in -STABLE ready for primetime? Can it really make use of two processors?

Sigh. You know, I've been running with two processors since 4.1 or thereabouts. Sure, the BGL scheme is inefficient as far as the kernel itself is concerned, but for compute-bound user processes it worked just fine. Naturally I avoided 5.0/1/2 for my production boxen, waiting for the complete overhaul of SMP to stabilize, but when I booted 5.3, everything was fine and I haven't looked back.

Personally I don't have the first clue what people have found to gripe about. It has been good, it got a _lot_ better in 5.x, and it's continuing to improve.

Ports to new processor families are an entirely different kettle of fish and have their own sets of problems, virtually all of which have to do with the new architecture and not with the general SMP support itself.
--
Frank Mayhar [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/

I agree. I'm not a FreeBSD expert by any means, but I do enjoy using it very much. I've learned a lot about it over the past year or so that I've been running it. I have both a 4.11 and 5.4 box that have dual processors and are running like champs. The 5.4 box is doing a lot more work actually, and it never has a problem. It's been all good for me, but then again, I probably don't delve quite as deeply into some of the complex heavy loaded things other do.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear" -- Mark Twain