Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   Is PAE really that stable?  I thought it was fairly unpolished, mainly
> because PAE is seen as a weak kludge implemented by Intel because they all
> thought we would all be using Itanium's by now.  Intel reversed their folly
> pretty quickly, adopted the x86-64 extensions as-is from AMD, and pushed them
> onto every piece of silicon they make.

Architecturally, it's a nasty kludge. As far as stability on FreeBSD is
concerned, my only machine under PAE with 4 GB RAM (without PAE it would
use a bit over 3 GB) is very solid on 6-STABLE.

>   I also really don't know how anyone would properly use 16GB of RAM under
> PAE anyways?  Each process is going to limited to just under 4GB.  The kernel
> memory space can't be bigger than 4GB either, so forget about a huge disk
> cache.

As I understand it, one possible benefit could be to use the memory for
disk / file cache. AFAIK the pages are just pages, without distinction
where they are mapped, and for example, if you run PostgreSQL, it
couldn't use more than 4 GB for its own data (actually closer to 2 GB
because of some sysvshm issues) but it will indirectly use the cache.

>   And is there some really stability fear about FreeBSD on x86-64?  Seems
> just the same as i386.

I agree, FreeBSD on amd64 is very stable.