* Tom Samplonius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [080219 23:00] wrote:

> ----- "Alfred Perlstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > > Does anyone have any alternative solutions that would provide a
> > more
> > > reliable environment other than PAE?
> >
> > Besideds PAE some people have mentioned running an amd64 system.
> >
> > One thing to consider is that PAE in 6-stable (6.3 and beyond)
> > is considered very stable, so if you can't make the jump to amd64
> > system because you'd have to recompile too much, you might have luck
> > updating sources to 6-stable and trying that kernel, then installing
> > 6.3 userland.
>
>   Is PAE really that stable?  I thought it was fairly unpolished, mainly
> because PAE is seen as a weak kludge implemented by Intel because they all
> thought we would all be using Itanium's by now.  Intel reversed their folly
> pretty quickly, adopted the x86-64 extensions as-is from AMD, and pushed them
> onto every piece of silicon they make.

The 6-stable (6.3 and beyond) has been in use at Yahoo and other sites
for quite some time.

>   I also really don't know how anyone would properly use 16GB of RAM under
> PAE anyways?  Each process is going to limited to just under 4GB.  The kernel
> memory space can't be bigger than 4GB either, so forget about a huge disk
> cache.

Actually this is incorrect, the kernel can use physical memory
outside of its address space as cache, so you can get more than
4GB of cache.

>   And is there some really stability fear about FreeBSD on x86-64?  Seems
> just the same as i386.

It's fine, people are just suggesting that the person upgrade to -stable
(not stay at 6.2) and are concerned that reinstalling the machine as
amd64 might be too much of a move.

-Alfred