On 2011-08-23 11:23, Alexander Best wrote:
The patch fixes this by adding "-ECC -ECXX -EAS -ELD" to the build32
sub-make invocation, which forces those environment variables to always
override any assignment in makefiles.

It makes it possible to simply do:

CC=clang
CXX=clang++

in your make.conf, or specify a path, even:

CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc46
CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++46

Note this was already possible on i386, but not yet on amd64.  Also,
strange things might happen if you set CC but not CXX, or vice versa...

any chance this patch can be committed?

I hope so, but it needs to be reviewed by one or more senior build
gurus, before it makes a chance (if any) to get into 9.0-R.

It's really just a band-aid now.  Obviously, the whole way Makefile.inc1
sets up CC to run the build32 stage should be overhauled, and as Warner
said, we really need a (SYSTEM|WORLD|PORTS)_COMPILER global switch
(instead of manually setting CC), but that kind of restructuring must be
done after the tree is unfrozen, not now.