On 7/21/2020 11:39 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 20:36, Aaron <notjanede...@gmail.com <mailto:notjanede...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Still working on my mailing list etiquette ...

    <mailto:notjanede...@gmail.com>

    <mailto:freebsd-wireless-unsubscr...@freebsd.org>
    >     <mailto:freebsd-wireless-unsubscr...@freebsd.org
    <mailto:freebsd-wireless-unsubscr...@freebsd.org>>"

    So Atheros and the Japanese are on their own.  In that case, the data
    that's needed is ... what's already in the wireless-regdb file?
You've got:

      * Country
      * Regulatory domain name (albeit only FCC, ETSI and JP), /which
    isn't
        actually used for anything!/  The details for each country are
        stored directly, there's no referring to the regulatory
    domains at all.

They're used for DFS modules which need to know which DFS regulatory domain one needs. :-)

      * Frequencies and channel widths.
      * TX power (in db OR mW, if that needs to be normalised someone's
        going to have to supply me with a reference or a formula)

As you'll discover, the challenge is that there can be multiple ways to skin the regulatory power limits felines. For we should stick to what net80211 already does;  which is just tx power in 1/2 dBm increments.

Not an issue, found the formula, apparently conversion between mW and db is dead simple.  Reference here: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/mW_to_dBm.html

Hypothetical case:  We have a 300mW transmit power limit, which converts to ~24.77db.  Since this is a regulatory restriction, do we round that down to 24.5 or up to 25?  What if it was 24.95, 24.5 or 25?  Since it's a maximum power restriction I'm guessing we always round down.

      * Flags.  Once the data's parsed we can get a complete list of
    these.

Right.

    Is there anything else needed?  And given that each country is a
    self-contained dataset, what do we need the regulatory domain name
    for
    beyond a label?

DFS is the main consumer for now.

The wireless-regdb only has three domains listed.  The regdomain.xml seems to have more detail, although I'm not sure how much of that is Atheros leftovers.  Is there a list of country:domain with more detail?

Here's the list I got out of regdomain.xml:

     rd {'id': 'debug'}
     rd {'id': 'fcc'}
     rd {'id': 'fcc3'}
     rd {'id': 'fcc4'}