Hi,

I’ll just join in on the last email in the thread not replying to anything specific.

Having gone through some of the stuff lately myself in order to put [1] out (which is also includes a few things to discuss) I’ll try to summarise a few things I’ve learnt and thought of, which confused me over the time:

- SKU - what does it actually stand for? Does it really belong into our regdomain?

- why are the freqbands prefixes with “H”, “F”, .. and what do these magic letters stand for?

- We have netbands, freqbands, and bands. None of these are actually describing the actual frequency ranges (as the linux-db does).

- The freqbands seems to start and end on the center frequency of the first/last chansep spaced channel. In the old days that was less confusing I guess as to now with 4x20 for VHT80.

- I am still unclear as to where we should map channels to frequency because we are half-hearted doing that partially for upper and lower bounds of freqbands currently. As such I have different freqbands for VHT20 vs. VHT40/80/160 as there are cases where there is an extra 20 channel not part of 80s.

- I’d love to have the freqbands actually describe the frequency limits and have the mappings of channels within them elsewhere; I have no idea how/where Linux is doing that.

- I’d love to have general freqbands and groups of them independent of the netbands.

- I do not actually understand what netbands are for given we have the IEEE80211_CHAN_ set appropriately. It’s for simplicity later but there is a lot of duplication. That said, some of these IEEE80211_CHAN_* flags do not actually belong to the regulatory limits either but are an 802.11 channel description.

- This all leads to confusion currently as to how we setup bands/channels/.. I made a mistake by accident and the list of combinations we checked in ifconfig exploded to 350.000 for whether a channel was valid. Clearly told me that the organisation does not seem to be right.

- I was wondering if for clarity we can break up regdomain.xml into multiple files?

- One thing I don’t like on the Linux version is that for, say ETSI, the information is basically copied per EU member state. I love our reference model there. I don’t mind having etsi, etsi1, etsi2 if I can then say 20 countries it’s etsi2 and be done. I think that is something essential and good we have.

- I do like our more structured format a lot more than the Linux one.

- We are lacking a few things, DFS and INDOORS and maxpower are not the only things which matter these days. You may notice “wmmrule=ETSI” in the Linux reg-db, for example.

- I wonder if what we actually want is a multi-layer thingy inheriting one from another or if we want a pure-regdomain (not knowing about channels) and more logic elsewhere which deals with putting WiFi things into that)?

- I think it’ll need a bit more than simply restructuring regdomain.xml; I think doing it will probably also need a bit more (a) documentation on what each bit means and tries to accomplish) and (b) a more clear separation between frequencies and restrictions and 802.11 channels and with that a bit more downward code changes.

- I would really love to see some of these things sorted and I’d love if the thread would stay alive.

Just my 5cts,
Bjoern

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25999