Hi,

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
> At 04:11 PM 7/26/2011, Rugxulo wrote:
>>
>>It's just hard to imagine why they would ever include LINK and EXE2BIN
>>when nothing comes with DOS that can use them. BASICA/GW-BASIC surely
>>didn't. I don't know, I'm not as savvy as some people here (Ralf?).
>
> Well, as you asked... ;-)
> EXE2BIN and LINK where indeed include for quite a while as not every
> compiler out there back then included it's own linker and
> specifically some of the Microsoft compiler itself.

I just wonder why they ever stopped including it. (Wait, I forget now
if DR-DOS 7.03 [1998] included EXE2BIN, lemme check ... YES!) Weird,
again. It even explicitly says it works on a linker's output, but
there is no linker included!! What kind of logic is that?

Of course, no terribly huge surprise considering some of the other
differences. EDIT is full-screen (but no BASIC, so debug [8086-686] is
basically all you have for scripting). Weren't they the first, years
before MS, to have full-screen EDIT? (No edlin at all!) Also, they
include other weird stuff including (among others):  lock, diskmap,
netwars, password, rendir, taskmgr, touch, xdel, xdir, [Jim Kyle's]
devload, loader, etc. etc.

But they also include a lot of the same other common stuff:  backup,
restore, recover, assign, chkdsk, fdisk, diskopt [defrag], drmouse,
deltree [.bat wrapper around xdel], graphics, graftabl, keyb, nlsfunc,
emm386 [built-in DPMI and /MULTI drivers], share, nwcdex, xcopy,
label, etc. etc. (BTW, this version had no ViewMax nor FAT32 nor LFN
tools and only optional Personal Netware crud.)

As you probably know, 7.03 is IBM PC-DOS 6.00 compatible (at least
according to "normal" version detection) and even the kernel file(s)
are named IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM. (Udo's EDR-DOS changed this back
similar to older-style, I think.)

> And IMHO, these are two tools that do not need to be included in a
> "basic" release of FreeDOS, those are things that should be however
> made available in an "developer" add-on or what ever you want to call it...

Yes, like I said, I don't see how anybody can use it by default.

>>What kinda bothers me about all these changes is that no suitable
>>replacement is available. Sure, /olddos/ has QBASIC, but later
>>versions didn't have even that. I don't know, it's weird.
>
> As far as the inclusion of a BASIC interpreter goes, the reasoning
> might very likely have been that the number of user actually writing
> their own BASIC programs compared to the number of overall users had
> dropped significantly.

Or perhaps they realized there were "too many" users creating "open
source" BASIC apps!    ;-)    I mean, you didn't have a choice, it was
an interpreter!   ;-)    I was always amazed at all the cool QB
programs out there. They squeezed a lot out of it (160 kb RAM free,
IIRC).

>>  My(uninformed, weak) guess is that they expected VBscript to replace
>>that, but who knows. (God help anybody bothering with PowerShell, that
>>syntax looks horrible! But hey, the advantage is that it comes
>>installed by default. Unfortunately, you have to deal with the v1, v2,
>>upcoming v3 [??] issue, which is bad. Bah, annoying.)
>
> That's all Windows stuff that shouldn't concern in here...

Well, last I checked, MS *still* included edlin, debug, and edit95 in
32-bit Windows! Yes, all DOS apps, IIRC! But no QBASIC to be found.
:-(

I  just meant that PowerShell and VBscript seemed to have (strangely)
taken the place of (what used to be) QBASIC. Not exactly a friendly
migration.   :-/

>>In other words, I understand wanting to be compatible, but I consider
>>BWBASIC (even if weak) or AWK to be better than nothing and at least a
>>semi-familiar scripting tool for people using FreeDOS. At least, those
>>would be more useful than EXE2BIN (to me)
>
> I would not call BWBASIC "weak" but including it would give users a
> "basic" scripting tool which goes beyond the DOS batch scripting.

Well, .BAT isn't exactly Turing complete, last I checked. It's not a
programming language (though 4DOS or XP's CMD most likely qualifies).
I know users can get a real programming tool themselves, I'm just
saying, having it "built-in" is more useful overall. It's not that I
think BWBASIC is bad, just far from complete or what most users would
expect. But it's a lot better than nothing!

> Don't know what AWK has to do with either BWBASIC, EXE2BIN or DEBUG,
> but awk is certainly not DOS and therefor should IMHO not be included
> in any "base" package...

Well, no, not necessarily in "BASE", but I think it's pretty
universally accepted (e.g. POSIX) and would be better than trying to
(over)use Debug to do things that it wasn't designed for. Awk is just
a language and not really DOS nor otherwise. I can't help but feel
something should be there.

> Seeing that there is so little "respect" for the old tools that made
> out DOS, I am not sure if I should pick up one of my projects I had
> started a few years back, a GW-BASIC clone, looks like there won't be
> much interest for this at least in here. Or even bother to put the
> finishing touches on BACKUP&RESTORE for that matter... :-(

GW-BASIC is fine if you like it. Most will complain about line
numbers. Personally I think the more languages the merrier.   ;-)
BACKUP and RESTORE is probably less important, esp. since most DOSes
had incompatible versions. As mentioned, Roedy Green already wrote one
that supported them all (w/ srcs!), but it's "non-military" use only
(not GPL friendly, i.e. will never be in "BASE").

http://mindprod.com/products4.html#RESTORE