On 8/1/2011 7:31 PM, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
> Op 30-7-2011 15:29, dos386 schreef:
>> Got the answer ???
>>
>> - LZMA decompressible on 8086: YES
>> - LZMA vs NRV/UCL: LZMA (much?) slower decompression
>> - Ultra-Brutal-Effect: much slower compression,
>>     no performance penalty on decompression (?)
> I did a quick test here by looking if UPX --ultra-brute --lzma --8086
> generated smaller binaries than the one which are distributed in the
> MTCP/UPX file. And indeed smaller, so think Mike used default UPX
> settings ( --best --8086). It's indeed quite likely LZMA and UltraBrute
> options may at least cause slower loading (more decompression time
> required) or not work at all on 8086. If it does work however, awesome :)
>
> LZMA versus other alghorythms: likely slower indeed, but wasn't tested
> as Mike tested against uncompressed binaries (with longer DISK-reading
> time yet no time wasted on decompressing ofcourse).

I'm willing to get out the stopwatch and retest now that I know more.

There was a question about the which of the algorithms (LZMA, NRV, UCL)
is safe for GPL software.  A quick review of the UPX web site did not
give me a clear answer on which one was used when I specified "-9
--8086" for options.  Does anybody know off the top of their heads?

Mike