Hi,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Michael B. Brutman
<mbbrut...@brutman.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/2011 7:31 PM, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
>> Op 30-7-2011 15:29, dos386 schreef:
>>> Got the answer ???
>>>
>>> - LZMA decompressible on 8086: YES
>>> - LZMA vs NRV/UCL: LZMA (much?) slower decompression
>>> - Ultra-Brutal-Effect: much slower compression,
>>>     no performance penalty on decompression (?)
>> I did a quick test here by looking if UPX --ultra-brute --lzma --8086
>> generated smaller binaries than the one which are distributed in the
>> MTCP/UPX file. And indeed smaller, so think Mike used default UPX
>> settings ( --best --8086). It's indeed quite likely LZMA and UltraBrute
>> options may at least cause slower loading (more decompression time
>> required) or not work at all on 8086. If it does work however, awesome :)
>>
>> LZMA versus other alghorythms: likely slower indeed, but wasn't tested
>> as Mike tested against uncompressed binaries (with longer DISK-reading
>> time yet no time wasted on decompressing ofcourse).
>
> I'm willing to get out the stopwatch and retest now that I know more.
>
> There was a question about the which of the algorithms (LZMA, NRV, UCL)
> is safe for GPL software.  A quick review of the UPX web site did not
> give me a clear answer on which one was used when I specified "-9
> --8086" for options.  Does anybody know off the top of their heads?

I'd have to let Jim answer since he was directly involved. But I
*think* all UPX'd "binaries" [sic] are okay (GPL-friendly), it's just
UPX proper (default .EXE download using closed source NRV library) is
"not free". So it's preferable to suggest people use UPX-UCL instead.
If you use UPX-UCL (and compare to default .EXE), you will notice that
UCL compresses slightly worse than NRV (though only slightly, we're
not talking probably even 5%). But if you use LZMA, output should be
identical.

So I don't think you have to worry, but I'm not a lawyer (nor Jim's
spokesperson), so you'd have to ask one of them instead.   ;-)