Hi Rugxulo,

>>> * has anyone managed to get SHELLHIGH working for whichever
>>> shell/program? Might be that FreeCOM is simply too large.

I find a MUCH more annoying problem with FreeCOM now:
Version 0.84 pre 2 always! hangs after it beeps, but
only hangs on newer hardware. Yuck! My LOCKTONE tool
which beeps when you change keyboard shift states is
immune to the problem, must be something in FreeCOM.

> Didn't somebody (Lucho? RayeR? ROM-DOS?) have an ultra-tiny CMD meant
> for a way to simply run an app without the extra bloat / RAM usage of
> standard DOS shell?

Georg asked the same, so I looked in my archives and
found that RayeR once played with ROM-DOS shells in
his RomOS: One was mini-command 7.10 3.00.53 (1992)
and 3.3 kB packed, 4.7 kB original, supporting only
cd copy del dir echo exit pause rem set type & ver.
The other was a normal uncompressed shell, ca. 29k.
Funny detail, those seem to be from a Canon A70 :-)

I think it would be fun for some of the ASM guys or
ultra-light-C guys to write a "mini-command" clone,
probably with a somewhat adapted set of commands.

Some more fun facts about new hardware tests above,
it has a BIOS with USB 2 storage driver but no USB
mouse support. USB keyboards do work. And the BIOS
can save/restore itself to any FAT partition, with
a nice little directory browser in that BIOS :-)

At first glance, (older) UIDE failed to detect SATA
in default IDE mode, did not even try in AHCI mode.
FDAPM fails to poweroff but PCISLEEP sort of works,
FDAPM APMDOS also works, FDAPM SPEEDn worked so-so.
Hitachi DFT SMART works, other SMARTs / sleep fail.
Floppy is default disabled but can do 360k - 2880k.
Did not try to use any DOS networks or sound there.
I guess my varying mileage is almost as in a VM :-p

Eric