>> you are a smart guy, but - as Eric already wrote -
>>> actually BLOCK drivers are only suitable for making
>>> FAT partitions on non-BIOS drives (e.g. USB) usable

> And I disagree with Eric (and probably lots of other people too) on
> this.  They are not ONLY suitable for FAT partitions -- it is at
> least theoretically possible to virtualize non-FAT systems through a
> device driver,
citing yourself, ' I don't know enough detail about how any of the file systems
work
  (even the basic FAT ones) to know for sure,'

> and would provide some advantages over an IFS if you did it that way.
the advantages that you mentioned simply don't exist.

just accept this from a guy who knows what the kernel (and block
devices) does and does not, and also knows a bit about FAT, exFAT, and
other file systems.

Tom