Hi Emir,

> https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/bugs/185/
>  Turkish CP 857 encoding is not applied in FreeDOS.

As far as I know, you can use MODE and DISPLAY to
load a CP857 font and you can use Turkish keyboard
layout in at least one of our keyboard drivers. All
source code comments are supposed to be in English
language, so there should be no Turkish characters
in the source code. But that does not influence your
ability to switch FreeDOS to Turkish code page font
and keyboard layout. Please explain the problems.

> I have also checked the strings in the source code,
> and noticed that instead of Turkish characters
> (ı, İ, ğ, Ğ, ç, Ç, ş, Ş, ö, Ö, ü, Ü), substitutes
> are used. I want to fix the encoding, but I am not
> familiar with how FreeDOS code works.

I can imagine that FreeDOS also touches Turkish text
in alphabetic sorting and in fixed dialog keys like
Yes / No / Cancel / Abort / Retry etc. Those should
be configurable using the COUNTRY settings. If there
are bugs in COUNTRY for Turkish, or if support for
COUNTRY in Turkish is incomplete, that can be fixed.

You can also switch the user text language in some of
the FreeDOS programs. For example you can make FreeCOM
command.com "speak" different languages. I think this
was possible for Dutch, German, Portuguese, Russian,
Serbian, Spanish and Swedish, while the French and
Italian translations might be outdated or incomplete.

I have not checked whether FreeCOM translations got
updated after 2003. Maybe a nice project for language
loving FreeDOS users on this mailing list? :-)

Regards, Eric