On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 3:31 PM Steve Nickolas <usots...@buric.co> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, tom ehlert wrote:
>

> >> Not sure if anyone will be concerned but just found that ibiblio
> >> (https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/c/pacific/)
> >> is mirroring the shareware version of Pacific C (circa 1998), while
> >> during 2000 they release the same version as freeware with no
> >> shareware nags. They can be got from
> >> https://web.archive.org/web/20040215154614/http://www1.htsoft.com:80/files/pacific/pacific.exe

I didn't realize they had re-released as freeware (although I should
have, see below). I'll look at it and mirror that too.

Also in the same folder you pointed to is the readme file:
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/c/pacific/readme.txt

This file is a copy of an email where Clyde Smith-Stubbs waived any
registration fee. From that file:

>Permission is hereby granted to use Pacific C for the FreeDOS project or
>any other private or commercial use without payment of any fee. Pacific
>C may be redistributed alone or with other software providing the complete
>package is distributed and the copyright notices remain intact.
>
>A new version of Pacific C will be posted to our Web site soon, with the
>shareware message removed, and a command line driver included. Until then,
>the above permission will allow the use of the current version.

Jim