飘似沙鸥 飘 wrote:

> Hi, I'm a newer to FreeDOS and I want to know if FreeDOS can be
> installed on embedded system based on 80186/80188? If yes, is it

The FreeDOS kernel and most programs are fully compatible with 8086* and
higher computers, so if the embedded system is similar enough standard
IBM compatibles (generally AT class or modern systems are used for
development and testing, but older PC/XT systems should work) then yes
FreeDOS can be installed* and used on an embedded system.

* The kernel can be compiled with 8086, 80186, or 80386 specific
optimizations (mostly just effect file size); same for FreeCom (our
command.com replacement), though the latest FreeCom is usually compiled
with 80186 optimizations due to size/features issues.

* It might be easier to do a manual install for embedded systems than
the CD [or diskettes] based install; that is download the latest kernel,
FreeCOM, format, fdisk, and manually do the fdisk/format/sys sequence,
then copy over any other programs (mode, keyb, diskcopy, ...) you need.

> possible that freeDOS work on an embedded system without BIOS?

Not really.  Currently the kernel and many of the utilities make
extensive use of both BIOS interrupts and the BIOS data area (equipment
flags, etc).  It is possible to remove/alter the need for BIOS, but it
would probably be a lot of work (but full source is there if you wish to
look through and see for yourself and/or do the changes needed).

I'm always open to accept patches that make FreeDOS more friendly for
embedded use.  Though most things would need to be compile time selected
(#ifdef SOME_FEATURE #endif), such as FAT32 support and WIN3 support
currently are.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.  If you can provide
more specific details about the operating environment others may be able
to provide better information.

Jeremy