Hi Jeremy, Bart, IBID,

>>> I tried 2038rc1svn out _briefly_.  It works about the same as prior builds
>>> (runs edit, mem, command, gem; loads ctmouse, gcdrom, himemx,jemm386,
>>> shsucdx; still does not run GEM/XM).

> OpenGEM variant of FreeGEM (http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/) provides the
> GEM/XM (multitasking variant)
> http://gem.shaneland.co.uk/downloads/OpenGEMXM.zip and the OpenGEM SDK
> (link on main page, basically all the stuff needed to run and build
> programs for GEM including full source).  From what I've read, GEM/XM
> was a branch of GEM v2, so both use FCBs.

Hmmm I do not understand the problem here... I downloaded the
OpenGEMXM file and unzipped it... Then I found a GEM BAT file
where I had to adjust some paths. The first attempt to run it
failed, because apparently you cannot(?) SUBST "dosemu magic"
drives which are just a "DOS view" on a Linux directory. But
after copying the files to a FAT drive (diskimage) and some
GEM BAT editing to adjust paths again, GEM just worked :-).

I could not find any LOAD*.* file in the zip, though... Maybe
this whole experiment is something different than IBID meant?

Eric

PS: Attempting to use SUBST to create a drive letter backed
by a directory in a "dosemu magic" drive creates a "drive"
which does not contain any files. I did not check why.

PPS: I also had to change my LASTDRIVE setting in config sys
to Z because GEM BAT wanted to create X and Y drive letters.
Tests done with 8/2008 made 2038rc/SVN kernel, dosemu 1.4.0.