On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Christian Masloch<c...@bttr-software.de> wrote:
>>> - uses an interface on Int2F which probably isn't as good as an internal
>>> hook. (MS-DOS uses a number of hooks partly documented in RBIL, I use
>>> one
>>
>> You mean table 01636, format of share exe hooks?
>
> It doesn't matter, but probably yes. (I don't know the number, but it's
> inside the Int21.52 "Get List of Lists" description.)
..
>>> - doesn't check whether it runs on the correct DOS version. It doesn't
..
> I know about the OEM ID and the DOS-C release string which can be
> retrieved by Int21.33FF. I don't see how SHARE could use that to
> differentiate kernel releases. Does the string have a fixed format
> specified anywhere? Is there any other call to get specific information?

No; the string has no fixed format - it has and will change to ensure
that end users can easily provide useful version information when
reporting usage information (be it bugs or works properly
information).

> I don't see where not complaining about FreeDOS SHARE makes it better
> either, so I decided to complain.

complaining never accomplishes anything except perhaps making one feel
better - however, information about deficiencies in current
implementations is encouraged, and perhaps the only way they will ever
improve.

> If you're interested in more information about my development (as opposed
> to FreeDOS SHARE complaints), tell me. We could proceed here if another
> DOS kernel's software isn't too much off-topic on the Freedos-kernel list
> ;-) or move to private e-mails.

as long as the discussion is relevant to kernel compatibility,
discussing on this list is fine (it is a pretty low volume list and I
think those here either are watching out to ensure the FD kernel
doesn't diverge into an incompatible mess or find the inner workings
of DOS/OSes interesting).  If the discussion does become too
off-topic, I would appreciate being CC'd in any off list emails.

> I forgot to complain about one thing of FreeDOS SHARE in my list: Unless
> the kernel does it itself (even without SHARE), multiple open SFTs aren't
> updated when file information (such as file size and first cluster) is
> changed by one process accessing the file.
>
> Regards,
> Christian

To summarize discussions (and add a few points) about FreeDOS share:

 - specific to FreeDOS kernel (ie do not use with other DOS versions,
may not work with earlier/later kernels than one distributed with) -
kernel specific is fine, not checking is bad
 - does not do any sort of version checking (ie attempting to run with
the wrong kernel will cause undefined results) - see previous point
 - does not fully implement the API as implemented by MS share (no
specific applications known to require them mentioned / useful for
testing?) - need to research further
 - is currently tied to Borland Turbo C compilers - options are to [1]
update to be more compiler neutral C, [2] convert to OW compatible
only, [3] merge into kernel so not a standalone app any more, [4]
rewrite in assembler, or [5] something I missed.
 - size (in memory usage) is an important factor as much as compatibility
 - does not currently handle networked/windows multiple VM issues
 - may be possible to simplify the logic and thus improve it

I have just started looking into share, as I need to have it building
with OW so I can add to the builds on my kernel page.
I lean heavily to integrating the support into the kernel, with a
CONFIG.SYS and runtime option to enable/disable - if it can be done in
a manner that does not increase the kernel's size (on disk and RAM
usage) unreasonably; however initially my focus will be on making the
current version compilable with OW.

Comments are welcome, especially pointers to applications that make
[known] use share's functionality for testing purposes.

Thank you,
Jeremy