Am 06.07.2009, 10:00 Uhr, schrieb Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>:

> Hi Christian,

>> I suppose there's no way to get the kernel's build number for SHARE
>> then?
>
> The revision number (eg 38 for 2038) is returned in BL
> if you call int 21.30, which also returns OEM ID 0xfd
> for FreeDOS :-).

Okay, but I won't depend on that. Some SETVER TSRs completely take over
Int21.30 (and Int21.3306), or only pass some of the values from the DOS
kernel.

>>>  - is currently tied to Borland Turbo C compilers - options are to [1]
>>> update to be more compiler neutral C, [2] convert to OW compatible
>>> only, [3] merge into kernel so not a standalone app any more, [4]
>>> rewrite in assembler, or [5] something I missed.
>
> I am not sure how big 3. would be

The code usage would be smaller. Think how both the kernel and file
sharing code could omit the interfacing and function number/dispatching
code. Also, all code part of the main kernel code would be relocated to
UMA or HMA too.

> but the main RAM usage is
> in data tables... It might be interesting to put those into
> HMA when SHARE would become a part of the kernel.

What exactly prevents a modular (i.e. not part of the kernel) SHARE from
putting data elsewhere?

> I also do
> think that 4. might be a nice idea :-).

I presume you don't want to use the (free) NASM source of my RxDOS file
sharer ;-P

Regards,
Christian