On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM, <ibid...@lavabit.com> wrote:
> In the discussion I refer to, relicensing was mentioned. I am curious who
> should be contacted for such requests, or if relicensing would be allowed,
> etc.
> The kernel source says "Portions copyright Patrick J. Villani."
> Would that mean that Pat should be contacted?

It would be very difficult; at minimal one would have to find all the
people listed in contrib.txt (within the docs directory in the kernel
source) and each of them would have to agree or the corresponding
contribution determined and replaced.  Pat of course would be the
starting point as the kernel as a whole is derived from his work; in
recent years Bart and Tom have contributed the most.  Assuming this
was achievable, it would only get you a version of the kernel
relicensed; the majority of FreeDOS [the associated shell & utilities]
would still be GPL licensed.

Jeremy