As FreeDOS project coordinator, just email here and you'll contact me.  So
you just did ;-)

Way back in the dark ages, Jim and I had a discussion about licensing and we
pretty much settled on GPL.   These licensing discussions continue today as
well.  I won't bore you with the details, but we prefer GPL and related
agreements for FreeDOS.  Doesn't mean we'll turn away something that is not
GPL but is open source for the distribution.

That being said, my personal preference is GPL and don't want to change it
for the kernel.  I think it has served the purpose quite well over the
years.

Now a nit.  I am of Italian origin and my first name is Pasquale, not
Patrick.  I use Pat as a nickname.  Long story ...

Pat