Hi dos386 :-)

> 1. No new details to the "Crosslink-BUG" ... cluster size is 4 KiB :-|

However, it is very interesting that it involves broken high 16 bits
on FAT32 on almost full disks. I hope this helped Bart to zoom in on
potential causes for the bug :-).

http://sourceforge.net/support/tracker.php?aid=2901916
www.mail-archive.com/freedos-kernel%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg02431.html

To summarize your 19 Dec 2009 mail: Use kernel 2039 on a FAT32 (FAT28)
disk, for example 6 GB with 4 kB/cluster and quite full, for example
95 p/c, with fragmented free space. Copy some files, delete some, copy
some more files. Then, you say, many cross-links show up, mostly in the
freshly copied two sets of files, also lost cluster chains. You are very
right that the INTERESTING thing is that the broken files all have bad
starting cluster numbers, all below 0x10000, even though there were no
free clusters in the first 65536 clusters before the experiment!

> 2. Discovered a NEW BUG:

Half of it is not a bug, the other half is...

> 1. Get WDE or similar
> 2. Overwrite both entries in FS-info sector with $FFFF'FFFF
> 3. Reboot to FreeDOS
> 4. DIR - there is a massive delay at the end

This is because DIR tells you how much space is used / free.
For that, DOS has to count all used / free FAT clusters by
reading the whole FAT, which is big in FAT32. The FS-Info
sector caches the information, but by setting the values to
the FFFF which you mention, you force a recalculation...

> 5. DIR - no delay anymore

See above :-)

> 6. Try to brew a file or SUBDIR ("MD")
> - expected result: should work
> - effective result: DOESN'T WORK

Do you also get problems with file creation or growth, as
far as those involve allocation of more clusters? If yes,
which problems, just failure? Or creation of cross links?

> 7. Retry and it will work now

Interesting!

> EDR-DOS doesn't have this bug.

It probably also has the delay? I assume by bug you only mean
the problem of creating a directory after invalidating FS-Info?

Eric

PS: I think 2039 got less publicity than 2038 and 2038
has more conservative updates. Combined, this means in
2039 you have more changes but (yet) fewer testers...