On 24 August 2009 10:25, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Bart
> Oldeman<bartolde...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>>
>> I can't reproduce a regression, although there is a bug with respect to
>> MSDOS:
>>
>> FreeDOS kernel build 2038 [version May 16, 2009 compiled May 16 2009]
>> Kernel compatibility 7.10 - WATCOMC - FAT32 support
>>
>> D:\FREEDOS>finddisk fdos
>> no match
>>
>> D:\FREEDOS>finddisk FDOS
>> echo Match on
>> E:
>>
>> (i.e. it only works case sensitive!, unlike MSDOS) But this behaviour
>> is the same for the FD1.0 kernel and also kernel 2039
>
> No, that's not the problem. When using Jack Ellis' RDISK (RAM drive)
> it won't find the volume "Hallelu-Jah" in 2039 whereas 2038 works
> fine. (If you really really want, I can upload my test floppy image
> where I discovered the problem.) In particular, I originally used
> 2038pre when making the floppy disk for testing, and when 2038 came
> out I upgraded. And then when 2039 came out, I figured I should
> upgrade again but didn't test again until recently. And at startup it
> immediately tries to jump to RAM disk for my purposes, but definitely
> a regression since it doesn't find it anymore.

I finally had a closer look. What happens is that the int21/11 input
pattern of finddisk gets uppercased to  HALLELU-JAH, and then
case-sensitively compared to the directory entries on the RAM drive.
So it doesn't find it. This is compatible with MSDOS, where finddisk
doesn't find the RAM disk either. (It's very strange to have a mixed
case label as that doesn't match with short-file-name FAT).

Older versions of the FreeDOS kernel (<=2038) did not compare
(ignored) the name for the volume label: it was returned no matter
which pattern was given to int21/11 (and 4e). That's why there is
"%define BUGGY_FCB 1" in finddisk.asm.

The correct DOS-independent fix would be to change finddisk to search
for the volume label with ????????.???, and then compare the result
with the search term.

Bart