Hi again,
This information is fantablus, but let me clear something up below...

>> it is indeed a 560 series 2640-foe which seems to mean just a 560, there
>> is no additional letter given.

oops? correction.  its a f0e, which is apparently of little importance
since
these units are  basically the same with the  letter designations
indicating certain some times windows related things.

> Personally I'd go for the D-Link DFE-670TXD (ethernet adapter) which
> is available at Ebay at the moment and an Orinoco Gold Card (wifi
> adapter) which I didn't try yet, but which is supposed to work with
> DOS. Depending of what is available, cable ethernet or wireless Wi-Fi,
> you may switch the cards in your 16-bit PCMCIA slot.

Fantastic!  will go a hunting.

> Afterwards you have to install the networking application you need.
> For instance, you can do your email with Pegasus and your websurfing
> with Arachne.

Actually...no I cannot.   I am not sure about Pegasus, never needed to try
it.  However Arachne   is very un-speech friendly.  I experience
vision loss so use a screen reader.  The way Arachnid writes  makes it
impossible to use with adaptive  software, or it was so thelast time I
checked.

This should not matter though.  there is a dos package called wattcp,
which I feel very good about since it is packaged using Lynx the
universally speech friendly browser.  As long as the networking program I
use has telnet I will still be fine.
Most of my material is at a shell service provider, shshellworld.
www.shellworld.net
there I have access to several speech friendly browsers, pine alpine and
elm for e-mail, and tons of other stuff.
On this computer which is running ms dos 7.1, I usenettamer solely for its
telnet abilities.

> > Of course choosing DOS as a
platform for your daily work means
to > choose the way DOS works. That means: Not (much) multitasking, not
> (much) WYSIWYG. Memory is a big issue, as all programs need to fit
> into the 640 KB (plus UMBS plus HIMEM) window that DOS programs can
> use. On the other hand, small is beautiful. ;-)

Lol, let's say I like my work as wysiwyg-less as I can get grin.  I have
used dos daily for computing or almost daily since 1988.  I love telling
windows users that things like freedos and Linux give you the choice of a
non-windows lifestyle.  I actually now rather a few dos users who do not
experience vision loss, and remain hopeful that someone will create an
edition of Arachnid that is speech friendly.  still I can continue dancing
this way it seems.
thanks again,

Karen