Hi,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2012/04/18 16:55 (GMT-0400) kurt godel composed:
>
>> I just got an external hdd enclosure; had a hard drive from a machine with
>> a blown mobo, and put it in the enclosure. Problem is it still has an
>> ext3/ext4 linux on it, eating up 25 GB.

So you do or do not have any use for the ext3 Linux partition(s)?

>> I can read write to
>> the dos partition with it's logical drives, but using the ext is a no-no.

LTools? wDE? TestDisk? FD Fdisk? Presz? What exactly are you trying to
do? Copy files? Reformat? Delete or create or resize partitions? Hack
at the raw sector level?

>>     My question is can I edit the partitions through the usb port in the
>> enclosure, or do I have to stick the drive in another machine to use,say,
>> gparted?

"Edit" the partitions as in resize? Delete? Add? Are you trying to use
them under DOS and/or Linux and/or ... ? Temporarily or permanently?

> DFSee doesn't care how it was able to find the HD. If any driver enabled it
> to be seen by DFSee, it can do its things with the tables and partitions,
> including change the type, delete, etc.

DFSee isn't freeware since a long time ago (though he still hosts
various older versions), but it does apparently have a FreeDOS-hosted
USB stick that you can buy. Hmmm, also CD-ROM or "bootable diskette",
and apparently evaluation versions can be downloaded. So yeah, you
could try one of those.

http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.php#usb

> If the EXT2 has something important
> on it and you don't have Linux installed, boot a live Linux CD an copy it off
> first. Files themselves don't care what type of partition they are on.

I assume he's thought of that already, but I don't know of a lot of
lean Linuxes. Perhaps ttylinux or even old ZipSlack or old DSL would
be good enough.

> --
> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

I would hate to delete such a holy verse, so I'll just re-quote it from NABRE:

--
"The wise of heart is esteemed for discernment,
and pleasing speech gains a reputation for learning."