> Hi,
>
> I'm resurrecting an old desktop for a "distraction free" environment
> and I'm wondering whether it is easier or more useful to use Freedos
> or MS DOS 6.22, which I have the original 3.5" disks for.
>
> The system is a Tandon 386SX, 8mb RAM, 512mb HD, 3.5" and 5.25" floppy
> drives, no USB, no CD-ROM, but does have an ethernet card.

IMHO is as (more) useful, as using DOS 6.22 instead of DOS 3.12, for example.

> With this spec, I'm wondering if the advantages of Freedos (support
> for big hard disks and RAM etc.) are meaningful on a low power system,
> and wether or nor it's worth the hassle of trying to install Freedos
> via floppy (I understand it's primarily designed for CD-ROM
> installation?).

Indeed: e.g. you'll have the opportunity to take advantage of using
Jack's extraordinary drivers, FreeCon (and 4DOS), kernel optimized for
386 etc. without installing it all separately.

> I'm mainly intending to use the system for writing and programming,
> but also communications programs like Lynx, Telnet and FTP.
>
> On that note, I'm not so enamoured with WordPerfect these days, so
> looking for any suggestions on alternative WP packages. It's primarily
> for academic writing, so decent support for footnotes, endnotes and
> tables is useful. I really like the DisplayWrite for DOS interface and
> features, but I've yet to find a version that exports into a widely
> used format. All suggestions welcome!

Maybe latest version of PC-Write (4.15)?
http://vetusware.com/download/PC-Write%204.15/
--
Z.