Hi,

You can install additional software in FreeDOS using "packages". Either
by downloading a package first, and then installing it on your PC, or
(if your FreeDOS setup is connected to the internet), installing it online.

For both steps, please make sure you have the FDNPKG tool. I'm not sure
it's installed by default with FreeDOS v1.1. If not, you can get it
here: http://fdnpkg.sourceforge.net

-- Case 1 (if you have internet connectivity) --
simply type this:
  FDNPKG INSTALL OPEMGEM

-- Case 2 (if you do not have network connectivity) --

first get the opengem package from there:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/repos/util/opengem.zip

...and copy it on your disk, for example to C:\. Then, type this:
FDNPKG INSTALL C:\OPENGEM.ZIP

cheers,
Mateusz