Well, I'm adding more facts without adding much more understanding.

I removed the Realtek card and installed a 3Com PNP ISA network card instead. With a PS/2 mouse connected, it booted fine -- the ICU driver configured the 3Com and the mouse worked. So this seems to implicate the Realtek card.

Then I installed the Realtek in a different PC of similar vintage and specs. I also transferred the hard drive with the FreeDOS installation. With a PS/2 mouse connected, it booted fine -- the ICU driver configured the 3Com and the mouse worked. On this machine, I could enable/disable Legacy USB support. It booted fine either way. All was not well, however. Whenever I ran the ICU utility that reports on resource usage, it would lock the machine hard after loading the program interface. It did this with and without Legacy USB Support enabled, and with or without the PS/2 mouse plugged in.

My next move was to run this same second PC under Windows 98. The Realtek detected and installed OK, and Windows reported its resource usage without locking up. The mouse worked.

So I still don't see a firm conclusion to be drawn. Do some motherboard BIOS's not know what to make of the Realtek card? Are these Realtek cards poorly made? Or specially designed to be configured under Windows (though that wouldn't explain the early lock on PC #1)? Or does ICU not work well with this Realtek chip (though again, irrelevant on PC #1)?