On 2016-12-30 23:31, Jose Antonio Senna wrote:
>   Some (maybe silly) remarks:
>
>   -Is the HD blank or do you already have some O/S working
>    in that PC ?

It is still blank.

>   -If you have say, MSDOS, on the PC do you want to keep it
>    and make a dual-boot PC ?

I will eventually install DR DOS on a second partition. I hope I will be
able to get a bootloader running that allows a selection. GRUB4DOS maybe?
>   - DOS has been designed to boot from removable media, so
>   it does not save HW info in the kernel.

Yes, but doesn't a good installer configure something like XMS memory
and HIMEM.SYS and CD-ROM ATAPI.SYS and stuff like that? This will go
into the CONFIG.SYS and some stuff into AUTOEXEC.BAT, but this will all
be wrong on another PC, wouldn't it?

>    Just write bare minimum CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files
>   and edit them to install specific drivers and TSRs after
>   the HD is on the target PC.

Yes, that is the though: I will partition 1) DR DOS, 2) FreeDOS and 3)
data+programs. Then I will install a bre minimum on the FreeDOS
partition, so it will be able to boot on the 486-PC. I will copy the
installation stuff from the USB image 1:1 to the third partition. I
should then be able to start the installer on the 486-PC from that
partition.

Thank you very much,
userbeitrag.