From: Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com>

Got a chance to find the links I was thinking of [0][1].

[0] http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=14645
[1] http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=11947

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think someone on Bttr has such an emulation sound driver for Intel hda or
> ac97.
>
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 4:11 PM <userbeit...@abwesend.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tom!
>>

>> As I understand it you cannot really make any use of initialized sound
>>
>> hardware in DOS except for a few -- very few -- programs that are aware
>>
>> of this very specific sound hardware.
>>

>> You may have noticed that /back in the old days/ every program/game had
>>
>> to be configured for the specific sound card in order to use it. Even
>>
>> within a family of sound cards there were incompatibilities. For
>>
>> example, games that ware written for Sound Blaster 1.0 (aka Game
>>
>> Blaster) und Sound Blaster 2.0 were not able to produce SoundBlaster
>>
>> sound on a more modern Sound Blaster Pro or Sound Blaster 16.
>>

>> The reason for this is very simple: there is no standardized sound API
>>
>> on DOS. So every sound card and driver created its own API and every
>>
>> application has to be written to support this very sound card (series).
>>

>> The only solution for /modern DOS/ would be to write an emulation for a
>>
>> well supported sound card for older programs and games. That would be,
>>
>> say, a SB16 emulation driver for AC97 and HD-Audio on-board sound cards.
>>
>> So every DOS program/game would see the well supported SB16 and -- if
>>
>> supported by this very program or game -- would be able to use it
>>
>> through the emulation. I think this is how DOSBox does support sound.
>>

>> If you do find a practical solution though -- I would be interested too!
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> userbeitrag
>>

>> On 2016-12-18 23:58, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>
>> > Do such programs to init the sound hardware work with all sound
>> > hardware?
>>
>> > I have on-motherboard Intel high-definition audio and remember reading
>> > on this emailing list that it was not supported in any DOS.
>>

>> > I get sound in FreeBSD and NetBSD.
>>

>> > Tom

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net