From: Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de>

Kai,

an amazing amount of effort to get a german keyboard driver :<<

> Hi Eric,

> thanks for the quick reply. In the meantime I found out that I can load a
> German layout with just "keyb gr", just not the layout file itself or the
> /E switch that is mentioned in that article. I assume the gr.kl is
> embedded in the keyboard.sys file.
> That's good enough for me. I don't need the Euro sign. I use FreeDOS
> mainly on a USB stick for flashing bios and controller cards on rack
> machines and my own workstations. And it drives me crazy if I have to
> input some special characters like - _ / which commonly occur. Each time I
> have to go by trial and error. And it seems you cannot type a ~ (tilde) at
> all on a German keyboard under an en-us layout.
> Now I can :-)
> There is one thing still with keyb, though, that makes me wonder.
> Shouldn't I be able to run it from autoexec.bat? I added "keyb gr" to it,
> but it isn't executed (or it doesn't work at this stage). I have to run it
> manually at the prompt. I'm also running keybw.com in autoexec.bat, right
> before that. I don't know what that does. I just have it in there and
> don't know if I added it some time ago or if it came with the first
> FreeDOS configuration. Should I remove it?

>> The KEYB layouts can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=kpdos

> That's the point where the circle starts (and ends). There are no plain
> keyboard layout files (.kl) in there, only the .key files. But these need
> kc for compiling to a .kl file. And there's nowhere you can get kc from.

in that case, KPDOS does not qualify as open source, and I recommend to
remove KPDOS from future releases of FreeDOS

> I don't need it now anymore it seems. But still wondering if it's really
> not available from anywhere.

>> Viel Spass!

> Gleichfalls, von Berlin nach Berlin :-)

> Kai

instead I recommend

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/keyb/mkeyb/mkeyb041
zip

and a command line

  KEYB GR

(note: I'm the author)

Mit freundlichen Grn#en/Kind regards
Tom Ehlert
+49-241-79886

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net