Hi,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/22/2017 12:39 PM, Santiago Almenara wrote:
>
> Thanki you Ruxgulo,
>
>> "-m 64" is fairly low. I usually leave it default (unless needing
>> more), which is "-m 128". But even that is fairly low. Hey, you're
>> already on x64, give it 512 MB!   ;-)
>
> Why would I want more than 32 o 64m for a DOS program?? :D
> Is there any current or past program that uses that amount of RAM??

32 MB is way too low. (Vista's NTVDM, anyone?)

DOSBox (emulator) caps at 64 MB (max, only 16 MB by default) because of
buggy games, I think, not because nobody else uses more.

XMSv3 and 32-bit DPMI both are intended to use more than that. Why even
have specs and drivers if no one uses more? 4 GB should be enough for
anyone!   ;-)

> You never know when you are using DJGPP  or the like to write DOS
programs... :-P

Yes, DJGPP stuff can easily use tons of MB of RAM, e.g. GCC (or G++) with
heavy optimizations. 7-Zip (or p7zip) can optionally use huge dictionary
sizes, too.

I don't know the details of how the VMs allocate their guest memory, so I
don't know if it will grab it all at once or not. But if you can afford it,
I recommend not minimizing the guest RAM.

Also, don't forget that you can use a large RAM disk. I routinely use a 200
MB RAM disk when running FreeDOS natively, so that's in addition to
whatever else I'm running. RAM is much faster than hard disk (or floppy or
...).

Honestly, I would say anything less than 512 MB is too little, but on
average you probably don't need that much. Like I said, default is 128, so
stick with that if unsure.