On 1/12/2018 2:15 PM, Ercan Ersoy wrote:
Hello,

I'm Ercan Ersoy (creator of DOS Coreutils and FreeDOS TUI Shell) and this e-mail address that I use general purpose.

I have an idea.

FreeDOS is a operating system that has some advantages. But, FreeDOS only runs PC platform. I think, FreeDOS can be ported other hardware such like Arduino.

Arduino is a microcontroller development platform and it is a microcontroller. Arduino has some models. People usually use Arduino Uno and Arduino Mega2560. Also, Arduino is a open source. Arduino models uses AVR microcontroller or ARM microcontroller.

I use orginal Arduino Uno, Arduino Uno clone and Arduino Mega2560 clone. These are good platforms.

As we all know FreeDOS is written C language. FreeDOS can be ported 8 bit AVR microcontrollers and 32 bit ARM microcontrollers.

For BIOS interrupts, we can write BIOS like bootloader for FreeDOS

Thanks for interesting,
Sorry, but this is a non-starter. Beside that the 8-RISC processor has absolutely nothing in common with the x86 CPUs that DOS is based on. Those ATMega chips are "micro-controllers", not "micro-processors/computers". And a basic Arduino Uno has a whooping 2KB of RAM, not much you can do even with DOS on that one, and no, a Mega2560 has only 8KB of RAM, not much more to work with either. And by default no keyboard or screen, which is another show-stopper...

The Arduino 101 has beside a a 32bit ARC RISC processor (for the IO stuff) an x86 Quark/Curie based processor, but again, with 24KB of RAM, you still won't go anywhere fast...

Ralf

---