On 1/13/2018 9:06 AM, Ercan Ersoy wrote:

FreeDOS Arduino Port doesn't have to graphics. For managing shell, we can use only a UART on Arduino. We needn't 8k RAM for managing standard input, standard output and standard error.
You don't need graphics, but even to manage a 80x25 text screen, you 4KB of RAM, no way how you try to bend it...

For FreeDOS Arduino Port needs major source code changes.

No it needs goal changes. Think about the system requirements to have a complete DOS with kernel and command.com and think whether you find any Arduino with at least 10% of the power, then think what would happen to DOS if you cut away 90% :-p
Well, this is more in response to Eric, but "power" is quite a bit relative here. RAM resources is what is lacking in an Arduino, not pure processing power. In that regards, those 8 bit AVR RISC processors, with their 32 registers, are actually quite powerful.

For developing FreeDOS Arduino Port, we should remove device drivers that are manage missing device on Arduino. For example, device driver of floppy disk remove for this port. For more examples, we should remove hard disk device driver, CD-R device driver, PATA device driver.

Also, this port needn't complex memory manager and ISO9660 file system driver.
I know this. But, FreeDOS Arduino Port don't need C: for storage, it needs A: and B: generally. A: for flash memory on microcontroller, B: for SD card. Flash memory device driver and SD card device driver is simpler than floppy disk device driver, hard disk device driver and PATA device driver.
DOS stands for Disk Operating System
Drivers for the actual media aside, you need the space to hold the "disk" related memory structures. And what "flash memory" do you want to use for that A: drive (or any drive letter for that matter)?

Ralf

---