On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 10:35 PM Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So no, I haven't tried rebuilding this (yet?), and I'm no *nix fiend,
> but I do think AWK is a cool tool, maybe cooler than GW-BASIC (don't
> kill me!).

AWK is a cool tool.  But it's not a full programming language for
building stand alone apps.  GWBASIC is.

AWK (the initials of Alfred Aho, Thomas Weinberger, and Brian
Kernighan, the authors)  was a tool intended for querying and
modifying the contents of text files.  It was initially written to
perform "one liners", where you invoked awk on a command line with the
commands to execute and the data to examine.  I attended a talk given
by Weinberger  decades ago where he described his shock on first
seeing a multi-line awk script.

Awk is still useful on *nix - various things like build recipes may
use it in scripts - but for most purposes, perl has replaced it.  (I
consider that a pity.  Awk is smaller and faster, and perl may be
overkill for a lot of what you might need to do.  Former Busybox
maintainer Rob Landley griped elsewhere about sending patches to
remove the dependency on Perl from Linux kernel builds, since awk did
all that was needed, only to find it reappear again.)
______
Dennis